Saturday, January 11, 2014

Gardening, bus style.

As we are parked in the camping ground for six weeks I thought that I would like to have some of my garden with me. I love to be able to pick a herb or two to enhance my meals, to make a salad. It always reminds me of my late friend, Nelda, who did the same thing when she went off camping in her van. All along the front dash she had little pots of herbs to use.

And so I have a collection of various varieties of lettuce, micro greens such as rocket and mesculin, parsley, chives and basil, radishes and some struggling tomatoes. 


















The large corflute boxes (that the supermarkets get their grapes in) make ideal planters for a variety of vegetables. My lettuces grow like 'mushrooms'.  I grow micro greens in seed trays lined with weed mat and they are an excellent way to add variety to your salads. I snip the leaves carefully when they are about 5cm in height so that they hopefully will keep growing a little longer.
My favourite radish is Yates 'Gentle Giant' which is unfortunately a hydrid (more of this in a later post) but it does grow to a large size without getting stringy or bolting to seed.


The sad tomatoes are 'Minibelle' from Kings Seeds, and replaces their variety Tumbler. Their website says the following and has this photo!!!!


'Bright red ornamental cherry tomato with juicy bite sized fruit. Compact, dwarf growing and bushy by nature, the fruit are very early to ripen and are ideal for pots, window boxes, balconies and containers.'  





These are mine so I am not sure what has happened to them. Maybe I just need to be patient as I can see one or two flowers that have set.










To complete our 'mobile' garden I have a couple of hanging baskets. The mirrors at the front of the bus make ideal hanging positions - while of course we are parked permanently here in the camp. They won't take so kindly to a trip down the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment