Monday, April 29, 2013

A new skill - floral art


Mum was very keen to have flowers on the tables at the party for Dad so I said that I would organise that.  I went to the florist and purchased some 'oasis' which is that green stuff that florists use to put in the base of the vase or container. Once a flower is put into this it stays in place, making it an ideal medium for the amateur florist to work with.


Next I needed at least 10 containers. Initially I thought a small plastic one like you purchase olives, salads and the like from the supermarket deli would be good, but once in the supermarket decided that the picnic dessert plate was ideal and at $1something for 10 made them very affordable.





Mum didn't think that she had many flowers in her garden and yes she didn't have anything long stemmed but lots of flowers that would be suitable for what I had in mind. The greenery was there too, once I got my head into the right mode and the small leafed maple turning pretty autumn colours made an excellent base for several.




We needed ten arrangements and the block of oasis cut down nicely, after soaking overnight, into six pieces. I basically worked on the old sand saucer model that we all did years ago at school. . I improved as I went along and worked out that it was best to lay down the outside layer of greenery or maple leaves first. I put three or five larger flowers in the middle and then filled in the spaces.






I even amazed myself at how successful these looked and feel like a new vocation is on horizons. I think I probably have to acknowledge my friend Julianne and the Herb Society for giving me some tutoring and inspiration along the way.



This arrangement is now gracing the bus for the next few days.














1 comment:

  1. They look great - well done! I can't believe there were that many flowers in Gma and Gdad's garden either...it was looking good when I was there, but I don't remember thinking there were lots and lots of flowers! Very clever! xx

    ReplyDelete