Tuesday, May 21, 2013

If It Weren't For Your Gumboots......

'If It Weren't For Your Gumboots where would you be'  is from that iconic piece of New Zealand culture by kiwi icon Fred Dagg .
Youtube link to the song


Well I was left with two gumboots last week but they weren't a pair. I love my gumboots especially at this time of the year as they are easy to pull on and it doesn't matter how 'mucky' the ground surface is. Out here in Otatara it can be wet under foot at this time of the year so gumboots are just the thing.







I have a pair of RedBands which did cost me quite a pretty penny a year or two back so when I purchased them I promptly labelled each one with a big ME.







It was on Saturday morning that I realised I then didn't have a matching pair. Not only did one not have a lovely big ME it was a size 5 and mine are a 6.

I don't usually go far in my gumboots but the Southland Community Nursery on a Friday morning is one place I do go in them. No joy there. Chris has a different brand and Dawn doesn't wear gumboots. We had thought Margaret, who had come with Ray may have been the culprit, but a check around in Matua Road was also unsuccessful. Only one pair of size 8 Red Bands.  Our neighbours who have recently built a new house on our west boundary was another place I had visited but no luck there either.


It wasn't until yesterday that I was visiting Glenda, on our east boundary, that I suddenly thought that maybe this was where the confusion had occurred. Out we went to her back door entrance and here was the missing gumboots sitting alongside her Size 5. Mystery solved.


No comments:

Post a Comment